FEATURE: Since the election of two new commissioners, Montrose county has had a string of voluntary and forced resignations of key top officials. On Monday of this week one of the interim staff also stepped down from her post. KVNF's Brody Wilson has the details.
Montrose County Faces Turmoil as County Manager Hire Fails and Recall Petition Targets Commissioner Mijares.
Montrose County government is facing a period of unusual instability following a failed county manager hire, the resignation of the interim manager, and the formal launch of a recall campaign targeting Commissioner Scott Mijares—all within 48 hours.
At a Board of County Commissioners meeting on July 7th, it was announced that the county would not move forward with its lone finalist for county manager, Texas attorney Bradley Mitchell. Commissioners Sue Hansen and Sean Pond indicated they no longer supported Mitchell’s candidacy.
Commissioner Mijares, who had strongly supported Mitchell, voiced disappointment and read a 15-minute letter from the candidate into the public record. He called the decision “a missed opportunity for strong leadership.”
Hours earlier, Interim County Manager Leslie Quon submitted a resignation letter citing a hostile work environment and fear of retaliation, particularly from Commissioner Mijares. Quon, who will remain as the county’s Human Resources Director, had stepped into the interim role after former manager Frank Rodriguez resigned earlier this year.
In her letter, Quon detailed conflicts with Mijares over department leadership and county hiring processes. She said she was unfairly blamed for the board’s decision not to hire Mitchell and documented a phone call in which Mijares allegedly made a comment that felt threatening.
During Monday’s meeting, Commissioner Sue Hansen praised Quon’s work and said she had been harassed as interim manager. Mijares disputed that characterization, asking Hansen to clarify. Commissioner Pond acknowledged “heated discussions” but said no one had yelled.
Later that same day, the “Recall Scott Mijares Committee” filed formal notice with the Montrose County Clerk and Recorder to begin circulating petitions. The group accuses Mijares of creating a toxic work environment, wasting taxpayer money, and undermining the county’s credibility. They estimate the county has lost more than $500,000 in severance and legal fees due to Mijares’ actions.
Mijares, elected in November 2024, dismissed the recall effort as “a political stunt” in a public letter. He said the campaign is driven by activists who didn’t like the outcome of the election and warned it could further disrupt the county’s operations.
If the recall committee collects at least 4,500 valid signatures by August 15th, voters will decide in November whether to recall Mijares and, if so, who should replace him.
TOP STORY: The search is on for the driver of a car suspected of striking a Montrose man on U.S. 50 early Sunday, and leaving the scene. According to the Delta County Independent, the Colorado State Patrol identified the victim as 51 year old Jo-del Biton-io of Montrose. CSP's preliminary investigation notes the victim was walking in the right lane on U.S. 50 near Starr Nelson Road, rural Delta County, when a vehicle struck him and threw him into the left lane of travel. He was then later struck by two other vehicles, the drivers of which called authorities and are cooperating.
Authorities are looking to locate the driver of a yellow 2008 Chevy Cobalt with black racing stripes. The vehicle was later found in Delta, however, as of Monday afternoon, troopers had not yet determined who was behind the wheel at the time of the crash, or where that person was. The incident closed U.S. 50 for several hours Sunday to allow for the investigation and scene security. During that time, traffic headed north to Grand Junction either had to wait, or detour over the Grand Mesa. Anyone with information about the suspect vehicle and its driver, or who may have witnessed the crash, is urged to contact the CSP dispatch.
LOCAL AND REGIONAL NEWS: The Western Colorado Community Foundation has awarded $174,000 in scholarships to 31 Delta County students from the Class of 2025. The funding will support students attending four-year universities and vocational training programs. The foundation manages 38 scholarship funds across Western Colorado, 17 of which are designated for Delta County students.
Hidden in Gunnison National Forest, Lost Lake Campground, 16 miles west of Crested Butte on Kebler Pass Road, earned top honors from The Dyrt camping app. The campground was selected for its “postcard-perfect” alpine scenery. Reviewers raved about wildflower meadows, mirror-like waters framed by peaks, well-maintained sites and friendly hosts. Open mid-June through September, the first-come, first-served site offers 18 campsites including RV spots equipped with fire rings and picnic tables.
ENVIRONMENTAL NEWS: The recently-passed GOP budget bill strips hundreds of billions of dollars in renewable energy programs and tax credits, impacting energy generation and costs across the country. Rocky Mountain Community Radio’s Caroline Llanes has more on what that means for the West.