Memorial Day Weekend is the start of off-road season in many Colorado communities. Off-Highway Vehicles are permitted on a three-mile section of State Highway 149 in Hinsdale County from this weekend through the end of September. This pilot program allows OHVs to access the Alpine Loop, a backcountry byway that connects Lake City, Silverton, and Ouray. Hinsdale County Sheriff Chris Kambish speaks to KVNF reporter Laura Palmisano about OHV education and enforcement.
It's been a hard couple of years. Many people are struggling with mental health or addictions. Kate Redmond speaks with Kathleen Burnell, a Center for Mental Health clinician in the area, who offers an innovative program. Plus, Eric Galatas reports Colorado officials say now is the time to prepare for wildfires in your neighborhood.
A federal judge has vacated a plan for drilling and fracking in the North Fork and Thompson Divide areas. KDNK’s Morgan Neely has more. Plus, Hinsdale County Sheriff Chris Kambish speaks to reporter Laura Palmisano about Off-Highway Vehicle education and enforcement. OHVs are permitted on a three-mile section of State Highway 149 in Hinsdale County for the season starting this coming weekend. This allows OHVs to access the Alpine Loop, a backcountry byway that connects Lake City, Silverton, and Ouray.
San Juan Cinema in Montrose reopens tonight after three years and we hear from head honcho Misty Hunter, whose family also owns and operates the Fox Theater in Montrose. Plus, Colorado faces another uptick in coronavirus cases. As Scott Franz reports, COVID hospitalizations could reach as many as eight hundred again by mid June.
Bark beetles are tiny insects that burrow into the bark of pine trees to lay their eggs, often killing the tree in the process. One way to mitigate beetle outbreaks is through prescribed burns. But as KSJD’s Lucas Brady Woods reports for Rocky Mountain Community Radio, drought conditions fueling their spread aren’t so easy to address.
This week on Local Motion we look ahead to Mountainfilm in Telluride, coming up over Memorial Day weekend. KOTO’s Julia Caulfield speaks with festival director Suzan Beraza and executive director Sage Martin, plus the filmmakers behind new documentaries Surf Nation and Sam Now.
Recommended NPR Highlights
- Trying to condemn the war in Ukraine, Bush inadvertently calls Iraq war unjustified
- How the war in Ukraine is challenging the long-sought pivot to Asia
- Poll: Two-thirds say don't overturn Roe; the court leak is firing up Democratic voters
- Pro-Trump counties continue to suffer far higher COVID death tolls
- New York attorney general launches probe of Twitch and Discord after Buffalo shooting
- DHS pauses a board created to combat disinformation amid a campaign to discredit it
- Drought and soaring food prices from Ukraine war leave millions in Africa starving
- Remembering Urvashi Vaid, an LGBTQ activist who spent decades fighting for equality
- The U.S. men's and women's soccer teams will be paid equally under a new deal
- Much of the U.S. could criminalize abortion. But how will those laws be enforced?
Mountain West News
- New Mexico wildfire sparks backlash against controlled burns. That's bad for the West
- The wildfires burning in the Southwest are bad but 'not unprecedented'
- Is your house at risk of a wildfire? This online tool could tell you
- From fire prevention to fentanyl: 5 highlights from Colorado’s latest legislative session
- Mapping snowpack from the skies brings new precision to water forecasting
Music Director's Favorite New Release
This Week's New Releases
The May KVNF board meeting will be Monday, May 16th at an earlier time, 5:00 pm in the Community Room at KVNF 233 Grand Avenue, Paonia. The meeting is open to all.
of KVNF's locally-produced music programs. Miss your favorite show? Want to hear one again? Find it on-demand here!
Latest NPR News
- How to help Uvalde families following yesterday's elementary school shooting
- What, if anything, might Congress do about years of mass shootings?
- The mass shooting in Texas is the latest tragic news involving a school
- A gunman opened fire in a Texas school and killed 19 children, 2 adults
- Mackenzie Scott contributes record donation to Big Brothers Big Sisters of America
- Wondering how to help after the latest school shooting? Give blood
- Survivors of Parkland and Columbine shootings share their outrage over Uvalde tragedy
- What we know so far about the school shooting in Uvalde, Texas